More than a Plus-4 but not a Plus-8, between them is a Plus-4 Roadster. This Morgan has had the same owner since 1996. It is sold on a actual mileage title with the miles in 1996 at 29,013, now showing 29,078 miles.
Dressed in British Racing Green over black, the paint and trim are in overall very good condition. The roadster's body is straight and the chrome bumpers fit tightly to the body.
This Morgan rolls on 165R15 radials, each one mounted on a steel wheel each with a .....
factory center cap. A rear-mounted spare, a Dunlop Gold Seal, size 5.60-15, is mounted on a green steel wheel. Front disc brakes became standard in 1960.
A 2.0L OHV Lawrencetune four-cylinder engine was fitted with a fully-balanced crankshaft and flywheel, along with pistons and connecting rods. Other modifications included a fully polished and gas-flowed cylinder head, oil cooler, a special camshaft, and a four-pipe exhaust system. Backing this engine is a four-speed manual transmission. The bonnet of the Triumph-engined Plus 4 fitted so closely to the engine that there was no room for an air filter. The fuel gauge is inop and the speedo fluctuates.
Inside, a black leather interior is in original good order, as was the matching carpet, a four-spoke Banjo steering wheel and instrumental panel with woodgrain are in very good order. The inner door liners and floor-mounted shifter are in good, original order but the fuel gauge is inoperable and the speedometer fluxuates. A passenger-side mounted AM radio completes the interior. The roadster comes with top bows but does not have a fabric top currently installed.
The Plus 4 at its introduction was fitted with a 2.1L Standard Vanguard engine installed on a widened and strengthened 4/4 chassis with a wheelbase lengthened by four inches. Hydraulic brakes, initially all drum, were fitted for the first time on a Morgan.
In 1953, a higher performance version was announced with the 2.0L I4 engine as used in the Triumph TR2 (a development of the Vanguard motor). The radiator grille was now surrounded by a cowl that blended into the bonnet. Front disc brakes became an option in 1959 and were standardized in 1960. From 1955, the 2.0L Triumph TR3 engine was used and from 1962, the engine was the Triumph TR4 unit, which increased displacement to 2.1L. This 61 year old Morgan drives out nicely!
In 1955, the less powerful 4/4 model re-appeared in phase II form. The 96-inch wheelbase of the Plus 4 was adopted by the 4/4 when it reappeared, after which the two models were for most purposes the same length and width.
Body styles available were a two-seat sports, four-seat sports and more luxurious two- or four-seat drophead coupé.
Documentation includes original instruction book.
Following success at Le Mans a higher performance version, the Plus 4 Super Sports, was available from 1962 with a tuned engine and a lightweight body. Just over 100 were built.
This car is currently located at our facility in St. Louis, Missouri. Current mileage on the odometer shows 29,078 miles. It is sold as is, where is, on a clean and clear, actual mileage Oklahoma title.
GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!
Note: Please see full terms and conditions listed below that pertain to the purchase of any said vehicle, thank you.