Q: I’d like to know what you feel are the 10 most famous race cars of all-time? I know this is a difficult question, but how about giving it a try? Charles L., Illinois.
A: Yes, it’s a difficult question for sure, but the following race cars come quickly to mind in no specific order.
1. Richard Petty’s No. 43 1966-1967 Hemi Plymouth
2. Jim Clark’s Ford Lotus 1965 Indy 500 winner
3. Gilles Villeneuve’s Ferrari Formula One Car
4. Zora Arkus Duntov 1963 Corvette Grand Sport
5. Carroll Shelby’s 1963 AC Bristol Ford Cobra
6. Smokey Yunick’s NASCAR No. 13 1966 Chevelle
7. Andy Granatelli Turbine STP Indy Car
8. Junior Johnson 1963 NASCAR Chevy Impala 427
9. Don Garlits first rear-engine 1971 dragster
10.JC Agajanian’s No 98 Offenhauser 1952 Indy 500 winner
Richard Petty’s No. 43 1966 Plymouth Belvedere Hemi is high on our list of top race cars. Plymouth used .....
the performance of Petty’s race car in its advertising. (Photo Compliments Chrysler Corporation).